We can now proudly say that we have a kitchen with GRANITE!! Just remember (as mentioned in my last post), Thursday morning our kitchen looked like this:
I took the day off from work so I could be there to see the magic happen. It was pretty neat to see our granite pull up on a trailer (wish I would have thought to snap a pic, sorry!). The installers came in and immediately went to work on demolition of the old white counters. Because I wanted to be out of the way, me and Dixie headed back to hang out in the office. With all of the ruckus we were hearing, I was kind of nervous.
When the ruckus stopped for a minute, I could tell that the installers took a break or had left the kitchen so I snuck out to take a peek. Our kitchen was counter-less!
Dixie and I went back in the office for a while, watched some TV, surfed the net, pinned on Pinterest, Facebook stalked and checked in on work email. I was talking to my Mom, she told me to go out and take a picture of the granite on the trailer before it goes in… and when I walked out I saw the first piece had already been installed!
Not too much longer, I came back out again to see that most of the granite was installed and the sink was set.
Another cool thing, my husband is a Big Green Egg enthusiast. Haven’t heard of a Big Green Egg? It’s a ceramic, charcoal cooker that can grill, smoke and bake. Anyways, B actually built a table for his BGE and we worked a deal with our granite installer to get a piece to top his table. It’s a different slab of granite than ours, but think it looks great!
As the afternoon progressed, so did the backsplash. I should mention that there was one “uh-oh” moment when the installer looked up at me, holding up a piece of tile and asks if I’m sure this is the ivory travertine I wanted because it looks a little darker. After examining and re-examining against the sample I was going off of, it was the right tile (PHEW!) – just looked darker because the old, white backsplash was SO white compared to the ivory travertine.
Here we are as the grout was drying. The sink and faucet still needed work and the new outlet covers are TBD.
And for comparison take a look at this side-by-side of the before and progress!
Once I get re-situated, decorated, outlet covers installed and a few other updated details complete I’ll take an official, after pic to post!












No comments:
Post a Comment