And I couldn't be more excited about it. Our new headboard is the first (and biggest) step to transforming our Master Bedroom. Although, the headboard might be the biggest transition step, it might be the most budget friendly. Our DIY Rustic Headboard cost us less than $90.00.
Supplies List:
7 1x8 Oak boards
3 1x2 Oak boards
1 can Stain (we chose Minwax Special Walnut)
1 can Polyurethane (Satin Finish)
Sander
Chain and other "Rusti-fy-ing" tools
Paint Brushes
Wood Screws
Level
The boards spent the night inside our house Friday night. B was worried with the forecasted snow storm, the boards might warp in the cold, cold garage. Saturday morning, B kicked off the project with some sanding. Then cutting the boards down to 7 feet.
![]() |
After sanding and cutting to desired length, B got to take out some aggression and beat the boards. He chose miscellaneous objects from his tool box. By the picture, looks like the chain was his favorite.
Stain progress. I just love how the Special Walnut grabbed the grain and knots and varied with each board. B & I stood and starred at the different stains in Lowe's trying to decide - but am happy with what we picked.
Busted. We were sneaky to get the headboard at the right height with less wood. It ended up being 58" tall, the perfect height.
My handyman in progress. It was his idea for the 3 support beams, that's why I keep the engineer brain around. The support beams were cut to be 2" below the top of the headboard and placed on the wall where the studs were. From there he started placing the beams with a little help from me.
BOOM! Headboard is all in tact and drying after going back through to stain the screw holes.
Once again, here she is! The headboard totally made the room and added some masculinity to counter the girly, white bedding. Don't remember what it looked like before without a headboard? Just look back at the last post.
I'm obviously beginning to want to talk about our Master. Next steps? I'm planning to up-cycle our nightstands and the bedside lamps. We want a rug and more throw pillows, but those will come in time.








No comments:
Post a Comment