Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Monday, May 20th




Monday, May 20th, 2013 was a day I already had my nerves stirred up for. Part of my big-girl job includes the role as the internship program coordinator and yesterday was the summer 2013 intern class’ first day. With orientation (including introducing the CEO & COO, yikes!), training and a meet & greet event scheduled for the day – my nerves get stirred up, hoping everything goes as planned.

We made it through orientation and training without a hitch. At about 2:30pm, when the view outside my window started looking eerie and thunder claps sounded more like bombs - I started receiving emails from intern supervisors worried about the weather and how it would affect our intern meet & greet scheduled for 4:30pm. At 2:41pm with the tornado sirens blaring, I called the downtown OKC bowling alley to see if we could reschedule our event. At 3:04pm shortly after the 2nd round of tornado sirens I sent the cancellation for the event. By 4:15pm and after the 3rd round of tornado sirens, devastation had hit just a few miles south of my office.

At 5:15pm I took this picture from my south-facing, downtown Oklahoma City office window. It looked calm, but all I could think about was the area just at the end of my view – Moore, OK.


I left the office feeling proud of my company as they immediately jumped into action; attempting to make contact with employees who live in the area to offer resources and support.

Going home to Edmond, north of the disaster area, I was finally able to watch the news. Of course feeling helpless, all I could do was get out the paint brush. Seems sometimes that painting is the best expression.


Praying for the Moore, OK Community. But also so proud of the state I live in and their response to the disaster – it’s amazing what those around this city have done to help already.

PS – I heard that Kevin Durant, OKC Thunder’s star has made a $1 Million donation to RedCross …. (love him, want to put him in my pocket!)

No comments:

Post a Comment